Orthodontic emergencies & Homecare
Emergency situations can arise like the following:
- Broken Wire or Braces: You can apply some softened chewing gum or wet cotton at the spot.
- Ulcer or redness: Your braces can cause redness or ulcers at some areas. Apply Dologel cream or Mucopain cream in the painful areas.
- Pain: Small amount of pain is expected after engaging a new wire / Adjustment - Take the prescribed pain killer. All adjustments will need two days for pain relief.
- New appliance: Cutting Lips / cheeks - Warm saline rinses/ or apply dologel / mucopain cream.
How can I take care of my teeth if I’m wearing braces?
- ALWAYS remember to brush your teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
- Make sure to use toothpaste that contains fluoride, and ask your orthodontist or family dentist if you need a fluoride rinse. This will help prevent cavities!
- During your treatment, try to avoid foods with a lot of sugar (sugar increases the amount of bacteria that grows in your mouth, causing more plaque and possibly cavities).
- Avoid sticky and chewy foods (caramel, chewing gum, gummy bears), hard foods (hard candy, nuts, ice cubes), or any foods that could possibly get stuck in your braces (popcorns, nuts, chocolates etc.).
- Make sure you visit your family dentist regularly for professional cleaning and cavity check.